Back Modifications (5)
Views 192 Unique 79 Award Shortlist   

Family Duo

By Imageryonly
I have never set myself up as a Portrait taker, and this image of Grandma and Grandaughter is completely unposed. The young lady loves Dogs, so Granny, who has been a friend for years, arranged for an afternoon visit for her to meet our crowd.
She was so obviously enjoying every moment I thought it would be nice to take a few pics for her to show her Mum and Dad, so I slipped out and fetched the camera.
This was the very first frame, As I focused, she saw me and gran leaned forward to ask what had caught her attention, completey unaware of me Smile
This was edited as a Tiff image, and just an automatic conversion to Jpeg for the site, so the colour has a lilac hue, please excuse.
Border painted on with Photoshop as our wall looked very boring.
All comments welcome as are tips or errors.
David

I have permission to put this for critique.

Tags: Gran Portraits and people

PortraitPro Sale - 50% Off + Save An Extra 20% With Code: ZBFV23
ADVERTISEMENT

Comments


banehawi Plus
18 2.9k 4333 Canada
20 Jan 2022 3:55PM
Its a cute image well timed, but that colour cast is strange!

It shouldn't have been caused by conversion to JPEG as far as I know?

I have removed it in the mod. Using Elements, of you have a colour balance adjustment, use the slider to move away from blue towards yellow.

Let me know what you think?


Regards


Willie
Fefe Plus
11 81 46 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2022 4:59PM
Its a lovely shot David and Willie's mod greatly improves the white balance.
For me personally I would lose the border or add a very plain one. A plain white wall is a portrait photographers dream.
You can always add a slight dark vignette to soften the white wall if you wanted.
dudler Plus
19 2.0k 1966 England
20 Jan 2022 5:42PM
Willie's sorted the colour: I want to suggest two things...

First, crop to reduce the blank background on the left and top of the frame. Second, think carefully about the frame - if the young lady wants extensive frameage, that's fine, but for most eyes it will be better without. Such a 'notice ME!' border tends to compete with the subject.

A brilliantly caught moment.
pamelajean Plus
16 1.8k 2275 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2022 7:13PM
The moment is captured well, and the personalities come across in an image when it's a candid like this, as opposed to a set up pose. The light and detail are both good.

The colour has been sorted out and I think you will agree that the skin tones look more natural in the modifications.

I'm not saying that a frame is unnecessary, but this "leaf" framing is too fancy for this image. What happens is that the viewer's attention drifts away from your subjects and goes towards those attractive patterns. Simplicity is the watchword if you do want to have a frame.

Pamela.
chase Plus
17 2.5k 668 England
20 Jan 2022 7:24PM
A nicely caught moment in time.
The heavy border isn't for me tbh and detracts from the two lovely ladies.

I did notice that this doesn't have a colour profile, I did a mod and converted to sRGB.

I adjusted the white balance to try and get away from the odd, rather cold colour cast, cropped and added a simple white frame. I attempted to clone away the purple leaves at the bottom and failed miserably.
Helped the "boring wall" along a bit, I used a sky replacement in Photoshop and lowered the opacity so it didn't look like a sky.
20 Jan 2022 9:34PM

Quote:Its a cute image well timed, but that colour cast is strange!

It shouldn't have been caused by conversion to JPEG as far as I know?

I have removed it in the mod. Using Elements, of you have a colour balance adjustment, use the slider to move away from blue towards yellow.

Let me know what you think?


Regards


Willie



Hi Willie,
Thanks for taking the time and advice. The wall is Magnolia, and on the prints fromTiff file. the colour is spot on. I will have to get into thr Jpeg converter and see if I can spot something amiss. it looks like a White Balance adjustment ? too cold ?
Your mod works well, nearly identical to the prints,which are just a touch warmer,
Thanks
David
dark_lord Plus
18 3.0k 835 England
20 Jan 2022 9:41PM
It's a very nice family moment and one that the family will treasure.

However, it is that border that gets noticed first and holds the eye, not what you want with any subject let alone a portrait of the two leading players.
All well and good for trying something different. If they were dressed up for Christmas for example you may get away with a few subtle stars for example, but it's best to keeep things simple.

You can use the colour picker in the white balance dialog ro click on the white wall to gwt that neutral and all the othercolours will fall into place. Assuming it is white anf not off-white but at least that would et you much closer and only require a small further tweak.
There should be no coloiur change on creating a jpg fom a tiff, that shouldn't happen so i that happens on other images it's a concern though I can't think why it would happen so I can't suggest a remedy.

It's rare you'll get ideal framing in quick situations so be prepared for a crop, the subjects deserve to be large and prominent in the frame.

So, remove the frame, adjust colour, crop and make sure people get a print.
20 Jan 2022 9:42PM

Quote:Its a lovely shot David and Willie's mod greatly improves the white balance.
For me personally I would lose the border or add a very plain one. A plain white wall is a portrait photographers dream.
You can always add a slight dark vignette to soften the white wall if you wanted.



Hi Diane,
Thanks for your help and suggestions, much appreciated, as a rule I would totally agree about the border and the vignette has great merit, however, as the target of the image was an 8 year old young lady, I put the frivolous border on just for fun,
Thank You,
David
20 Jan 2022 9:52PM

Quote:Willie's sorted the colour: I want to suggest two things...

First, crop to reduce the blank background on the left and top of the frame. Second, think carefully about the frame - if the young lady wants extensive frameage, that's fine, but for most eyes it will be better without. Such a 'notice ME!' border tends to compete with the subject.

A brilliantly caught moment.



Do you think square format might work better, John ? As I told Diane, is meant for anyear old, which is why the border.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will tke note and the incorporate all suggestion into an edit, then repost,

Cheers
David.
20 Jan 2022 10:04PM

Quote:A nicely caught moment in time.
The heavy border isn't for me tbh and detracts from the two lovely ladies.

I did notice that this doesn't have a colour profile, I did a mod and converted to sRGB.

I adjusted the white balance to try and get away from the odd, rather cold colour cast, cropped and added a simple white frame. I attempted to clone away the purple leaves at the bottom and failed miserably.
Helped the "boring wall" along a bit, I used a sky replacement in Photoshop and lowered the opacity so it didn't look like a sky.



Thanks for you help, Janet, it is most appreciated. this is a fun shot for the little girl, something to remember her afternoon out. I like the sky idea,will have to try that.
Regards
David
20 Jan 2022 10:13PM

Quote:It's a very nice family moment and one that the family will treasure.

However, it is that border that gets noticed first and holds the eye, not what you want with any subject let alone a portrait of the two leading players.
All well and good for trying something different. If they were dressed up for Christmas for example you may get away with a few subtle stars for example, but it's best to keeep things simple.

You can use the colour picker in the white balance dialog ro click on the white wall to gwt that neutral and all the othercolours will fall into place. Assuming it is white anf not off-white but at least that would et you much closer and only require a small further tweak.
There should be no coloiur change on creating a jpg fom a tiff, that shouldn't happen so i that happens on other images it's a concern though I can't think why it would happen so I can't suggest a remedy.

It's rare you'll get ideal framing in quick situations so be prepared for a crop, the subjects deserve to be large and prominent in the frame.

So, remove the frame, adjust colour, crop and make sure people get a print.



Hello Keith,
thanks a lot for your very informative input, I really appreciate all the help and suggestions, I will attempt to put all into practice and post anew image soon, the wall is actually Magnolia Smile
Regards
David
20 Jan 2022 10:16PM

Quote:
Quote:Willie's sorted the colour: I want to suggest two things...

First, crop to reduce the blank background on the left and top of the frame. Second, think carefully about the frame - if the young lady wants extensive frameage, that's fine, but for most eyes it will be better without. Such a 'notice ME!' border tends to compete with the subject.

A brilliantly caught moment.



Do you think square format might work better, John ? As I told Diane, is meant for an 8 year old, which is why the border.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will tke note and the incorporate all suggestion into an edit, then repost,

Cheers
David.

chase Plus
17 2.5k 668 England
21 Jan 2022 12:10AM
If this is just for the little girl and you want to give her something pretty with a border, why not try some twinkly stars or some fairies around the edges ? Something not quite so in your face that overtakes the image so much…..a bit of magic Smile
dudler Plus
19 2.0k 1966 England
21 Jan 2022 7:51AM
I think that you have a point about the subject enjoying some extra decoration - so why not have two versions? One that she will find fun, now, and another that she will love more when she's a bit older? The joy of photography is that you can adjust these things and have multiple interpretations without losing the original... And you can ask her what she wants, as well...
mrswoolybill Plus
16 3.5k 2563 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2022 5:42PM
I'm late here. But I wanted to try an alternative approach for the colour issue, just to illustrate the variety of routes that are available. I have added mod 4, worked in Elements.

First I cropped to keep the leaf pattern but get rid of the heavy border, which I find overpowering. I used 'Adjust colour for skin tone' which comes under Colour adjustments. I placed the eyedropper on the little girl's right cheek (left to us), and left the tan and blush sliders centrally placed. I did nothing else to colour, the result I think is quite reasonable.

I also made a Levels adjustment to boost midtones, used the Sponge tool to get rid of blue in the lady's hair (I have no idea if that is how her hair actually looks... ), and isolated the background to lighten it and warm it to something nearer to cream.

Just suggestions, it's a delightful image, one for the family album.
Moira
21 Jan 2022 7:21PM

Quote:I'm late here. But I wanted to try an alternative approach for the colour issue, just to illustrate the variety of routes that are available. I have added mod 4, worked in Elements.

First I cropped to keep the leaf pattern but get rid of the heavy border, which I find overpowering. I used 'Adjust colour for skin tone' which comes under Colour adjustments. I placed the eyedropper on the little girl's right cheek (left to us), and left the tan and blush sliders centrally placed. I did nothing else to colour, the result I think is quite reasonable.

I also made a Levels adjustment to boost midtones, used the Sponge tool to get rid of blue in the lady's hair (I have no idea if that is how her hair actually looks... ), and isolated the background to lighten it and warm it to something nearer to cream.

Just suggestions, it's a delightful image, one for the family album.
Moira



Hi Moira,
Thanks so much for your input and mod, it works very well indeed. As I said, I will put up a re-edited image containing all the very knowledgeable information everyone has so kindly shared, and look forward to comments on that as well.
Keep well and safe
David
21 Jan 2022 7:36PM
HI everyone,
and once again thanks for your advice, I have found it all most instructive.

I have started from scratch with the originsl Raw file and the mod incorporates all your suggestions, I look forward to comments. I concentrated on producing an image for when she is slightly older

I used FastStone and Elements 2, very old now, but the programme I was originall y trained on.
Used the eyedropper tool on the little girls eye, this got very close to the correct colour, just a little adjustment in levels to lighten slightly.
Cropped the left side, top and right side to give a balanced image,
Added a very small border in FastStone.
The Mod is the result.
Thanks
David
dark_lord Plus
18 3.0k 835 England
21 Jan 2022 8:50PM

Quote: the wall is actually Magnolia

That does make adjustment a bit more than one click but at least you know what colour to aim for, and magnolia is light enough to show up any strong colour casts.

The mod you've done looks really good.
chase Plus
17 2.5k 668 England
22 Jan 2022 12:53PM
Your modification is a great improvement both colour and presentation wise, nicely done.
22 Jan 2022 3:38PM

Quote:Your modification is a great improvement both colour and presentation wise, nicely done.


Thank you , Janet, I do listen occasionally, despite what my lovely other half says GrinGrinGrin
David
dudler Plus
19 2.0k 1966 England
23 Jan 2022 12:18PM
Eye dropper on the eye is a good way to get things right, David. Well done!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.

ADVERTISEMENT