History of The Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin, Wakefield Bridge
The Chantry Chapel of St Mary the Virgin was built by the townspeople of Wakefield in the mid 14 century as an integral part of Wakefield’s new stone bridge (which replaced earlier wooden bridges) across the River Calder. It was first licensed in 1356.in the mid 14 century bridges) across the River Calder. It was first licensed in 1356.
It is one of only three surviving bridge chantries in the country. The others are at Rotherham and St Ives (near Cambridge)
Its purpose was to provide for a priest to say mass for the souls of the dead to reduce the time in purgatory