Back Modifications (2)
Views 58 Unique 25 Award Shortlist   

Portrait

By IshanPathak  
Ok so another go at portraits. Very poor light, so went for flash. Tried to include background to minimum. Converted to mono in Picasa.

Any CC gladly taken Smile

Tags: Black and white Portraits and people

Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Comments


TanyaH Plus
16 1.3k 395 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2014 3:23PM
Hi Ishan Smile

Given that you've used flash, the lighting's actually pretty good! I'd definitely have expected more hot spots from the flash, so very well done for avoiding that one. Also, by him looking down and you being higher than him in order to take the image, it's avoided the dreaded reflections and massive hot spots in his sunglasses Grin

All I've done in my mod is to crop to a much tighter view, which removes some of that distracting background and concentrates the viewer's attention on his face. For a guy, he's actually got great skin!! I also adjusted the tones a little with a Curves adjustment layer, although I think that's a personal choice on my part rather than anything wrong with your image.

I did remove the two tiny white hot spots in the lower curve of the sunglasses rim, and also in his ear ... who knew that people's ears could be so shiny!!

I like it Smile It's a shame in a way to crop off that lush hair, but it had to go in order to crop to the way I wanted.

Tanya

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IshanPathak 5 202 12 India
6 Dec 2014 3:27PM
Thank you Tanya for your comment and mod. Smile

Agreed about hot spots, and crop works well. But isnt your mod too dark?

Ishan
TanyaH Plus
16 1.3k 395 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2014 4:55PM
Hmm ... quite possibly, now I'm looking at again. It looked fine when I did it earlier in the day, but I'm looking at it now under different lighting conditions ...
Ah well - ya lives and ya learns Grin

T
pamelajean Plus
13 1.2k 2096 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2014 4:56PM
Hello, Ishan.

It's good that you are considering the background that is visible but, unless this were set up and posed, with your subject set against a plain background, there is little you can do except crop tightly, as you have done.

I cannot fault the detail you have on your subject, but it's a shame you had to use flash because it has caused there to be shadows. His nose is particularly bright and "stands out" even more with the shadow line beaneath it. There is also a shadow all around the right side of his face, showing up particularly strong because it's against a white shirt.

This has the feel of a candid shot, as if your friend is engrossed in something and didn't know you were going to take a picture of him. I quite like that idea, but the viewer doesn't engage so well with your subject because he is not looking at the camera....or at us.
You know that a portrait lives in its eyes, and even if he were looking at the camera, his eyes wouldn't be too visible through those glasses (are they reading specs or sunglasses?).
There is no set formula to follow when considering the eyes, it depends on numerous factors, but many different poses can work and will alter the mood and focal point of the image considerably, dependent upon the eyes. Without eye contact, the camera is simply an ‘observer’ and this is a great opportunity to show a subject in a different way.
He is looking down, and the viewer will wonder what he is looking at or concentrating upon. It can feel as though we are gaining a glimpse into the thoughts and private moment of the person. We naturally look at the faces in the frame, and from there our gaze follows theirs. This is why I get a sense of observing your friend in a candid moment.
So it's not ideal, but if your intention is to create a sense of mystery, or even a more somber atmosphere, having your subject look down may be the best result.

I realise you are taking up the challenge of portraiture, and are producing some fine results. In many ways, a standard posed portrait is never as interesting as a more candid one. Someone doing something, studying something. It would, however, be worth considering including that "something", be it a book, computer, or otherwise. Although that takes away the mystery, it becomes more engaging.

Perhaps if you had used portrait/vertical format, you could have had a little more space beneath his chin, so we can still wonder what he is looking at or concentrating upon, but it gives us more room to explore underneath his face. Your new frame could also have eliminated that bit of background almost completely.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Pamela.
banehawi Plus
15 2.2k 4051 Canada
6 Dec 2014 5:41PM
Do you have the colour version you could upload Ishan?

W
banehawi Plus
15 2.2k 4051 Canada
6 Dec 2014 6:06PM
Really good Ishan. You posted it as un-tagged, - assign sRGB to it. It may have a different tonal range when seen by others without the profile. For me, its much brighter than it is here on the site.


Theres something interesting here in the exif data too. Thats the detail that says "flash return light not detected, compulsory mode". And thats why you have an exposure that not at all typical for flash.

So what seems to have happened is that the flash fired, then the amount of light reflecting back from the shirt, and lower than the flash would be looking for, far exceeded what the flash expected, so it reduced its output, and since its not "sure" the light was due to the flash, it plays it safe and indicates return not detected.

Thats good for you! Its like reducing flash power, or using fill flash, neither of which your camera is capable of doing!

Anyway, the image is actually underexposed as a result, - his face at least. I uploaded a mod with this corrected, cropped and darkened the bright area behind.

The reason I asked for colour is to see what variations of mono can be obtained from the original.

Nicely done.



regards


Willie
dudler Plus
16 987 1537 England
6 Dec 2014 7:02PM
I love the detail in his beard and eyebrows: characterful, even with dark glasses!

It's been a while since I have spotted one of your shots - good to see one again, and it's looking good.

If you were posing the subject, you could address some of the ancillary issues, like the background, and light levels (and, maybe, the very bright T-shirt). And, as a grab shot, this is exemplary.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 600 England
6 Dec 2014 11:11PM
Ther eis the shadow on the subject's left caused by the flash. Not intrusive but ther all the same. Of course, if you need to use flash you'll get effects like that, especially if it's to capture the moment which a posed and set up shot wouldn't capture.
Good to see you experimenting with angles and crops. So even if the conditions didn't require flash, it's a good idea to try a close crop, higher angle and pose like this. The more ideas you can bring to a shoot, even an improptu session, so much the better.

Keith
IshanPathak 5 202 12 India
7 Dec 2014 6:27AM
Sorry for taking time to get back.. Sad

Pamela: Thank you for your comment Smile

Umm, its a candid, i guess. He was busy with his laptop, i tossed him those glasses and said lemme see how you look in them. Ho wore them, and was again busy. I was idle for a change, so decided to take out my camera and click a snap. After the click of the shutter he came to know i was snapping, and this was the first picture.


Quote:You know that a portrait lives in its eyes, and even if he were looking at the camera, his eyes wouldn't be too visible through those glasses (are they reading specs or sunglasses?).


Agreed! Sunglasses, just for fun. Though i doubt if he wasn't wearing it, his eyes would have had much impact. The light was so dull..


Quote:So it's not ideal, but if your intention is to create a sense of mystery, or even a more somber atmosphere, having your subject look down may be the best result.


No intentions such as this Grin. But the laptop was in front of him, so the camera had only 1 main point of focus, laptop or him. If there was a blurred laptop it will certainly distract the eye, and if he is blurred, i would have had to send it to the laptop company then Grin


Quote:I realise you are taking up the challenge of portraiture, and are producing some fine results. In many ways, a standard posed portrait is never as interesting as a more candid one. Someone doing something, studying something. It would, however, be worth considering including that "something", be it a book, computer, or otherwise. Although that takes away the mystery, it becomes more engaging.


After March, ill look up all the portraits in the gallery and see how they do it Smile


Quote:Perhaps if you had used portrait/vertical format, you could have had a little more space beneath his chin, so we can still wonder what he is looking at or concentrating upon, but it gives us more room to explore underneath his face. Your new frame could also have eliminated that bit of background almost completely.

Didnt think of this, Thanks for the suggestion Smile


Willie: Sure. I will in some time.


Quote:You posted it as un-tagged, - assign sRGB to it. It may have a different tonal range when seen by others without the profile. For me, its much brighter than it is here on the site.


Really sorry if im missing something obvious, but i couldnt understand it completely. Sad


Quote:Theres something interesting here in the exif data too. Thats the detail that says "flash return light not detected, compulsory mode". And thats why you have an exposure that not at all typical for flash.


This shows in all exif if i have used flash in my Manual mode. But in pre programmed, there is some more like Slow Sync or something.

I guess i have to take time to study about flash. Grin

Your mod is spot on, as usual Smile
Thank you so much for your comment..

John: Thank you for your comment Smile

Nearly a month i guess since my last upload. Will be in and out until March 26th, thats when my boards are over. Sad

Quote:

If you were posing the subject, you could address some of the ancillary issues, like the background, and light levels (and, maybe, the very bright T-shirt). And, as a grab shot, this is exemplary.



Well this was a grab shot only, but i did think about the background, but he wouldnt move at all.

Keith:

Thank you for your comment Smile

Yep, i will keep on experimenting, and of course post here for critiques.
paulbroad Plus
12 131 1286 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2014 8:36AM
Decent shot but a touch under exposed. Willies mod sorts that out as does his text. A bit of work with the dodge tool on the darker areas too, just to lift detail.

Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.