Views: 295 (131 Unique) 
Vote 54
Award Shortlist   

Gossamer

By jools59  
Good morning all...wow and thanks for all the votes on the Dungenes series...

Today something abit different...a take on photographer 'Morten Bjarnhof''s work...though lack of professional lighting caused this to be abit light...was looking for more of a silhouette...by wrapping myself in the silk and standing in front of the fan to produce movement...it didnt go to well however..I liked the effect of the subtle silhouette and movement and tweaked again in lightroom...any help with silhouetting would be most welcome....

Thanks...Jools Smile

Tags: Specialist and abstract Digitally manipulated Portraits and people

Voters: angie44, digipix76, andy210966 and 51 more

Readers' Choice Awards are given to photos that get over 30 votes

Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Comments


30 Dec 2009 10:47AM
hi jools never attempted an image like this , so all i can say is looks good to me darl .. wishing you a happy new year jools and all the best to you .. angie x

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digipix76 9 577 England
30 Dec 2009 10:53AM
Excellent.


Ian
andy210966 8 4 119 Wales
30 Dec 2009 10:55AM
Nowt wrong with this Jools - a terrific shot and so difficult to do as a self portrait (so to speak).

Andy
clicknimagine 6 221 88
30 Dec 2009 11:06AM
this is pure art...
Catess76 6 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 11:53AM
very interesting and kind of has a spiritual feel Smile
caroline x
Cor 7 Belgium
30 Dec 2009 2:02PM
Special!
cor.
Richsr Plus
9 90 220 England
30 Dec 2009 2:20PM
This is excellent, and something I have been wanting to do with one of my models but using net current instead of silk.
I like the tones and shapes you have created.
Not really sure on how to you might improve the silhouette apart from thiner material or back lighting.
Regards Richard.
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 2:24PM

Quote:This is excellent, and something I have been wanting to do with one of my models but using net current instead of silk.
I like the tones and shapes you have created.
Not really sure on how to you might improve the silhouette apart from thiner material or back lighting.
Regards Richard.



Thanks Richard....Im going to give it another go and do my homework on back lighting...and see what transpires...Jools
mikbee 9 3 8 Scotland
30 Dec 2009 2:34PM
Good work Jools.
Richard might have a point with thinner material for a ''softer'' look !!
Mick.
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 2:55PM

Quote:Good work Jools.
Richard might have a point with thinner material for a ''softer'' look !!
Mick.[/quote

Yes...I have looked at getting a mosquito net apparently that is excellent tfor these types of images...thanks Mick...Jools

30 Dec 2009 2:57PM
Such a good idea to try. Looks quite impressive to me. Will look forward to see what you come up with. Happy New Year.......Sandy
SlowSong Plus
7 6.0k 29 England
30 Dec 2009 3:05PM
Well worth a try. I think you'll get better at this and then produce some really great stuff. Keep going.
Chris
30 Dec 2009 3:30PM
Very delicate image.
All the best for 2010.
Christine
30 Dec 2009 4:03PM
Some great work going on here Jools, and very nice processing.
Thanks for the New Year wishes, and the very same to you.

John Smile
Eviscera 9 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 4:40PM
I think your style has worked better here Jools , ghostly tones and lovely art.

Dave
fraser 12 631 14 Scotland
30 Dec 2009 6:08PM
Quite an alluring image and I like what you're trying to do here Jools but I'm not sure about the colour. I think if might work better as a B&W image.
Fraser
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 6:11PM

Quote:Quite an alluring image and I like what you're trying to do here Jools but I'm not sure about the colour. I think if might work better as a B&W image.
Fraser



Yes Fraser and thanks.....this wasnt quite what I had in mind...if you look at the photographers work....im going to try again using different materials and back lighting...Jools Smile
fraser 12 631 14 Scotland
30 Dec 2009 6:25PM
Hi Jools, just had a look at Morten's work. I don't know if it's the effect of the Lido Dancers series that you're after but, if it is, I think you might need a more transparent sheet and a frontal light between you and the sheet, with a secondary light shining onto the sheet to get the misty effect. There should also be a bit of distance between you and the sheet, with the sheet being well out of focus.
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 6:59PM

Quote:Hi Jools, just had a look at Morten's work. I don't know if it's the effect of the Lido Dancers series that you're after but, if it is, I think you might need a more transparent sheet and a frontal light between you and the sheet, with a secondary light shining onto the sheet to get the misty effect. There should also be a bit of distance between you and the sheet, with the sheet being well out of focus.


Hey Fraser....thanks for taking an interest in my endeavour to perfect this image...if you go to Morten Barnhof.com and click on ECCO you will see a silhouetted image at the bottom...this is what i was trying to recreate in my own way....im quite inspired by his work.....Jools
fraser 12 631 14 Scotland
30 Dec 2009 7:05PM
Cheers Jools - I'll have a look.
Roly 8 Wales
30 Dec 2009 7:42PM
It looks great to me Jools.
fraser 12 631 14 Scotland
30 Dec 2009 7:57PM
OK, see what you mean now. Finer material and backlighting should do the trick, although you'll need a reflector or modelling light to get some light onto the front too. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Fraser
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 8:10PM

Quote:OK, see what you mean now. Finer material and backlighting should do the trick, although you'll need a reflector or modelling light to get some light onto the front too. Looking forward to seeing the results.
Fraser



Cheers Fraser.....Jools
Lillian Plus
6 21 17 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 9:46PM
very surreal, and gives a great shot
beautiful work
iancatch 9 4 45 England
30 Dec 2009 10:29PM
Interesting shot - well done

Ian
andylea 7 37 1 United Kingdom
30 Dec 2009 11:39PM
a real stunning capture jools all the very best for 2010 Wink
andy
morpheus1955 9 3 2 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 12:11AM
Absolutely stunning Jools, I cant see anything wrong with it Smile Straight into my favourites, wishing you all the best for 2010.

Hugh
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 12:15AM

Quote:Absolutely stunning Jools, I cant see anything wrong with it Straight into my favourites, wishing you all the best for 2010.

Hugh



Hugh...thank you so much....and I too... wish you and yours all the very best wishes for a great new year....Jools Smile x
imagio 9 12 1 England
31 Dec 2009 8:43AM
Stunning artistry Jools

Bernie
31 Dec 2009 9:38AM
Nice shot.

Carsten
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 9:55AM

Quote:Stunning artistry Jools

Bernie



Thank you Bernie....happy New Year to you if I havent said it already...Jools
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 9:56AM

Quote:Nice shot.

Carsten



thanks Carsten...Jools
dmhuynh72 8 44 3 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 10:45AM
Beautifully done and I love it,
happy new year
Yung
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 10:47AM

Quote:Beautifully done and I love it,
happy new year
Yung



Thanks Yung.....and a Happy New Year to you too....Jools Smile
31 Dec 2009 10:57AM
Well done Jools - very creative, it's worked out brilliantly - be interesting to see the next version with back-lighting.

Best wishes for 2010
Chris
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 11:01AM

Quote:Well done Jools - very creative, it's worked out brilliantly - be interesting to see the next version with back-lighting.

Best wishes for 2010
Chris



Working on that Chris...thanks....all the best to you too...Jools Smile
tony64 12 204 9 England
31 Dec 2009 12:05PM
Hi Jools! Love the effect you have created here.
Happy New Year to you!
Tony
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2009 12:50PM

Quote:Hi Jools! Love the effect you have created here.
Happy New Year to you!
Tony



Thanks Tony...Best wishes to you too...Jools Smile
7 Jan 2010 9:43AM
Excellent abstract
-Frontier
LilyWren 6 7 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2010 5:08PM
Wow, this is such a great shot and idea...to be honest I love it as it as! I think this is quite sublime. I love the suggestiveness, the movement that is created and I actually think that the silhouette is just right for Gossamer Wink

Melanie
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
16 Jan 2010 11:12PM

Quote:Wow, this is such a great shot and idea...to be honest I love it as it as! I think this is quite sublime. I love the suggestiveness, the movement that is created and I actually think that the silhouette is just right for Gossamer

Melanie



ohhh thanks melanie....jSmile
beckas 12 5 1 United States
23 Jan 2010 2:46AM
Mysterious and beautiful. I like this!
jools59 7 4 1 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2010 4:15PM

Quote:Mysterious and beautiful. I like this!


Thanks ... means alot ..Jools

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.