Boat loaded up and ready to go from McKay's Boatyard in Arbroath after being refurbished. Not sure what it is going to be used for because, as in V3, it has "doors" in the side which are well below the waterline. It is possibly destined for an exhibition or a museum.
P.S. After some research:
In 1816, the Forth and Clyde Canal Company authorised the development of an all-iron ship, and they quickly settled upon building a canal barge. In 1818, Thomas Wilson (1781–1873), was hired as the shipwright. The barge was to be 20 metres (66.5 ft.) long and narrow enough for the canal. The design called for iron sectionals to be riveted together with covering plates. Two blacksmiths were hired to construct the parts.
The Vulcan was built in Faskine, Airdrie, on the bank of the Monkland Canal, launched in May 1819 and carried passengers between Edinburgh and Glasgow. Later it was converted to a cargo handler and was sold for scrap in 1873. In 1988, a replica of the Vulcan
was constructed in Glasgow and now resides at the Summerlee Heritage Park.
Tags: Photo journalism
Ted447, RobertTurley, PhilT2 and 10 more