Back Versions (3)
Modifications (5)
Views: 67 (30 Unique)  Award Shortlist   

Deep In Conversation

By WeeGeordieLass
Quick shot of a trio in conversation taken at the Kumbh Mela.

I've cloned out a messy background and have uploaded the original shot for comparison.

Thanks for looking, and any constructive critique is welcome.

Thanks

Elaine Grin

Tags: General Landscape and travel Portraits and people

Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


This photo is here for critique. Please only comment constructively and with suggestions on how to improve it.

Comments


debu 6 India
9 May 2013 4:15PM
A couple of good captures.
debu

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Balwant Plus
5 1 4 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 4:44PM
The image raises lots of questions as to what the story line is? Very expressive image, getting rid of messy background has created a lot of immact and generated interest. You must be brave to visit this place during Kumba Mela, considering number of people at certain time. However a great opportunity for expressive portraits! a very historic event !
NDODS Plus
5 4.9k 125 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 5:06PM
Although I agree with Balwant to some extent, I believe that the removal of the background has in many ways removed the main storyline. The original image shows a woman holding a meal in what appears to be a market place. "Is she offering the gesticulating man a meal, and is he in turn haggling for a price?" Or on the other hand, he does seem rather official and rather smartly dressed, this in turn tells me that he may be some form of market official telling the owners that they cannot sell their wares without some form of official documentation. The possibilities endless and it is up to the viewer to interpret the image he or she sees before them. However on the flip side, image one in the main tells me nothing more than the gentle is simply taking or maybe arguing with the people," but for what reason...?" In summary I feel that image two shows a wider picture and gives the viewer more of a clue as to what is going on.

Regards Nathan GrinGrinGrin
iancrowson Plus
6 211 142 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 5:25PM
I tend to agree with Nathan. The story is in the situation shown by the surroundings. If the photo was of the man, say because you knew him or he looked special then removing the background give more importance to him. The photo seems to be about his interaction with the two women in possible scenarios such as Nathan suggests.
Interesting the clothes are knitted suggesting a need for earth.
Good cloning work.
Not as exciting as some of your other images to me, still good photography, camera settings look good.
My mod levels and sharpens a little,
regards
Ian
Hi All,

Thanks for being honest in your appraisals. I agree that the shot doesn't tell a story.

The man in the photo was serving free food out of huge pots and pans to crowds of people, and I feel that I missed a great opportunity to get a good shot and tell a story of another aspect of the Kumbh Mela.

I did get some more shots of that particular scene but they're not very good (I've uploaded them, without any processing, as other versions to show what was happening).

I think I made the mistake here of concentrating too much on trying to hone my cloning skills and not on telling a story with my image Sad

Thanks for the mod Ian - it's great.

Cheers

Elaine Grin
paulbroad 8 113 1011 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 6:19PM
V1 is a huge improvement on v2. You are cracking that processing. A fine candid image. I might come in even tighter and just have part of the two womens heads with the man much larger in the frame.

The other two are interesting but the tonal range needs work with some under exposure of figures and a bright sky.

Paul
banehawi Plus
11 1.3k 3402 Canada
9 May 2013 7:03PM
As a practice extraction, its well done, and better than the previous. So I assume its a practice.

Using your own extraction, it will look much better if the background is complementary to the extraction. Ive uploaded one of the mods with this done. You make a layer copy; using the copy, and the magic wand tool set to 12, and contiguous checked, sample the background; then select, modify selection, expand 2 pixels, and feather one pixel. Then delete. Now double click your background original layer, OK, and with than later selected, delete it. Now you have the figures with a chequered background. You can use the move too to drag this onto any suitable texture or background.

Anyway, I would certainly clone out the tress growing out of the womans head, but leave the rest. You need that environment, - I can see a plate of Channa Dahl there as the topic os discussion. leave the awning, wires, poles, everything. Youve also lost depth of colour and tone in the extraction, when all you wanted to do, or at least needed to do, was brighten the mans face. You can do this using a layer and a mask, brightening the shot, and the using the mask to ensure its applied only to the mans face.

So a few mods. Your original with the tree out, and the mans face lighter; your crop and extraction overlaid on the original to show the difference in tones; and the extraction with a complementary background. I will also upload the background to you can use it for practice.


Regards



Willie
Balwant Plus
5 1 4 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 7:34PM

Quote:Hi All,

Thanks for being honest in your appraisals. I agree that the shot doesn't tell a story.

The man in the photo was serving free food out of huge pots and pans to crowds of people, and I feel that I missed a great opportunity to get a good shot and tell a story of another aspect of the Kumbh Mela.

I did get some more shots of that particular scene but they're not very good (I've uploaded them, without any processing, as other versions to show what was happening).

I think I made the mistake here of concentrating too much on trying to hone my cloning skills and not on telling a story with my image Sad

Thanks for the mod Ian - it's great.

Cheers

Elaine Grin

Agree all the interesting comments and your personal view. The story line is one image. In my view in second image, you have clone out the distracting elements in the background including the uninteresting food plate and have presented a triangular composition with great expressions engaging three people and also the interesting colours that holds my eyes with interest. This is my personal view of liking it.
Hi Willie,

Thanks for the very interesting and helpful mods. I haven't managed to get to grips with layers, extractions, new backgrounds and masks so your detailed narrative will help a great deal.

Thanks for uploading the background - I'll practice with it.

The time you've taken to help me is much appreciated, and I'm learning lots of great ideas.

Cheers

Elaine Grin
Hi Balwant,

I'm so glad that you really like my presentation of this image. We are thinking along similar lines you and I as I really like the man's expression and I cropped to show a triangular composition.


Quote:You must be brave to visit this place during Kumba Mela, considering number of people at certain time. However a great opportunity for expressive portraits! a very historic event !


The day we visited the Kumbh Mela the estimates were that 10 million people attended - it was a very auspicious day. Even though it was very crowded the atmosphere was peaceful and joyous. I feel very lucky and privileged that I can say I was there, at this special event which only happens once every 12 years. I met some very special people, and it was quite emotional watching devotees bathing in the sacred sangam. Grin

Thanks for taking the time to comment Balwant, and also your encouragement and support.

Cheers

Elaine GrinGrin
Balwant Plus
5 1 4 United Kingdom
9 May 2013 10:01PM

Quote:Hi Balwant,

I'm so glad that you really like my presentation of this image. We are thinking along similar lines you and I as I really like the man's expression and I cropped to show a triangular composition.

You must be brave to visit this place during Kumba Mela, considering number of people at certain time. However a great opportunity for expressive portraits! a very historic event !

The day we visited the Kumbh Mela the estimates were that 10 million people attended - it was a very auspicious day. Even though it was very crowded the atmosphere was peaceful and joyous. I feel very lucky and privileged that I can say I was there, at this special event which only happens once every 12 years. I met some very special people, and it was quite emotional watching devotees bathing in the sacred sangam. Grin

Thanks for taking the time to comment Balwant, and also your encouragement and support.

Cheers

Elaine GrinGrin

Hi Elaine, In my opinion the first image was a snap and you have created a photograph with a difference from a snap which in my view requires an imagination. Another thing I notice is that there in a colour harmony in the image including the background colour and the repetation of the shade blue which binds the image together. This print in a photographic gallery will certainly be noticed, Regards

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.