The parish church of St. Mary is mostly Norman with its massive walls and its chancel arch. It consists of nave and chancel, a tower at the West end, and a large porch on the South side. It is considered to be one of the best examples of early architecture in South Wales.
In the year 1064 Harold, soon afterwards King of England, built what has been described as a castle or hunting lodge in Portskewett near the church. Whatever the building was, it is a point of much interest and it is pleasing to think that both Harold and Edward the confessor, whom some say he entertained there, probably worshiped in the church. The “Castle,” however, did not last long, for it was destroyed in 1569 by Carodoc of Caerleon, a Welsh chieftain. St Mary’s Church Portskewett
graceland, f11digital, Niknut and 20 more