Views: 79 (36 Unique) 
Vote 16
Award Shortlist   

Coffee and a Portuguese Tart.

By pentaxpatty
First of all a Big thank you to everyone for all the comments on yesterday Pier photo, especially to Dave, Mistere,and Simon for their precious user awards, I really didn't expect this. Today back to food and a small Saturday Shadow. I have included the recipe in case anyone wants to try it, they are so easy to bake and well worth the eat.

Serves: 12

1 (500g) packet puff pastry
225ml (8 fl oz) milk
3 tablespoons cornflour
200g (7 oz) caster sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
6 egg yolks
Add recipe to shopping list
A free list you can take to shop or buy online
Method

Prep:20min Cook:20min Ready in:40min

Preheat oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin and line bottom and sides of cups with puff pastry.
In a saucepan, combine milk, cornflour, sugar and vanilla. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk 1/2 of the hot milk mixture into egg yolks. Gradually add egg yolk mixture back to remaining milk mixture, whisking constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove vanilla bean.
Fill pastry-lined muffin tin with mixture and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is lightly browned on top
Tip

If you've made a recipe, such as a pavlova, which calls for lots of egg whites and no egg yolks, you can freeze the yolks and then make a yolk-heavy recipe like this later! For best results, lightly beat the yolks first with a generous pinch of sugar for each yolk. Freeze in freezer bags.

Tags: Food Coffee Specialist and abstract Recipe Baking Tarts Phone photo Saturday shadows

Voters: ColleenA, Nikonuser1, marshfam19 and 13 more


Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Comments


ColleenA Plus
3 315 3 Australia
31 May 2014 2:29PM
Aaaaaaggghh!!! You are so cruel GrinMy favourite sweet tart, how I wish I was there to eat one with you. Sitting here dying for something sweet to eat.....thanks for the recipe..will make them in Melbourne for my first guests

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

31 May 2014 2:30PM

Quote:Aaaaaaggghh!!! You are so cruel GrinMy favourite sweet tart, how I wish I was there to eat one with you. Sitting here dying for something sweet to eat.....thanks for the recipe..will make them in Melbourne for my first guests[/quote Thank you Colleen, its a good recipe and makes lots you can freeze the ones that you dont eat! GrinGrinGrin
Patty

Nikonuser1 Plus
3 20 10 United Kingdom
31 May 2014 2:57PM
I feel hungry now looking at that srummy tart, well captured PattySmile

Cliff
31 May 2014 3:00PM

Quote:I feel hungry now looking at that srummy tart, well captured PattySmile

Cliff

Thank you Cliff there's more coming out of the oven now ! Tongue
Patty you are not helping my waist with all these lovely cakes, I always feel hungry when you load these kind of images.

Mary Grin
31 May 2014 3:14PM

Quote:Patty you are not helping my waist with all these lovely cakes, I always feel hungry when you load these kind of images. Mary Grin[/quote I even included a recipe today! sorry Mary at least the pier shot didn't go to anyone's waist line. GrinGrinGrinGrin
gwynn56 4 87 England
31 May 2014 3:57PM
with 7 oz of caster sugar and about the equivalent of 6 teaspoons of sugar in a pint of milk , due to my diet i think i'll give them a miss even though they look so tasty Smile
Mollycat Plus
2 11 2 United Kingdom
31 May 2014 3:57PM
I've not had a Portuguese tart since I was in Lisbon in the '60s (early). And very nice it was too, washed done with a Vino Verde. You've got to stop teasing these
lady's Patricia, bad for the waist line. Keep baking, look forward to seeing more.
Peter GrinGrinGrin
31 May 2014 4:35PM
A really scrummy image, Patty!SmileSmile

Richard
31 May 2014 5:09PM
Do like the shadows
31 May 2014 5:32PM
Thank you everyone. They are only tiny so Gwynn could have one. They are gone in two bites Smile
ali63 Plus
4 737 1 United Kingdom
31 May 2014 6:38PM
Great recipe, they look delicious , don't think there would be any left to freeze BlushBlushBlush, I would have to bake another batch for the freezer SmileSmileSmile

Ali
31 May 2014 7:55PM
Fabulous capture with the bonus of a recipe, great idea
31 May 2014 9:46PM

Quote:Fabulous capture with the bonus of a recipe, great idea

Quote:Fabulous capture with the bonus of a recipe, great idea

Quote:Great recipe, they look delicious , don't think there would be any left to freeze BlushBlushBlush, I would have to bake another batch for the freezer SmileSmileSmile

Ali

I must admit girls I have eaten a few of them, (more than a few) testing them out of course ! hee hee
31 May 2014 10:36PM
"I've not had a Portuguese tart since I was in Lisbon"

Someone had to say it.
The picture looks delicious, Patty.
Lovely tempting image Patty, nice shadow too. One of my favorite treats, will give the recipe a go but I can't see any making it to the freezer. SmileSmileSmile
Carol
mikbee 9 3 8 Scotland
1 Jun 2014 12:57AM
I have never even heard of a Portuguese tart Patty,
never mind having one !!
Good shot.
Mick.
1 Jun 2014 6:40AM
40 minutes, to make 12 tarts & each one gone in 2 bites, Patty..?
I don't think your baking would keep up with the consumption rate....!!
Especially since they look so good Grin

Simon
bobsblues 6 10 2 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2014 9:30AM
Carn't beat a Portuguese tartBlush Patty ( and that looks lovely )
Rob
mistere Plus
2 1 3 England
1 Jun 2014 11:43AM
What more could a chap want, the perfect 3 ingredients for a lovely afternoon SmileSmileBlush.
Thanks for the recipe, will pass it on to Mrs E,

Dave.
1 Jun 2014 1:11PM

Quote:What more could a chap want, the perfect 3 ingredients for a lovely afternoon SmileSmileBlush.
Thanks for the recipe, will pass it on to Mrs E,

Dave.

Thank you Dave, they are easy to make one reason I included the recipe and nice for an afternoon tea, thats were this lot of gone too now,. GrinGrinGrin
Quote:Carn't beat a Portuguese tartBlush Patty ( and that looks lovely )
Rob

I did wonder when there would be a few of those comments BlushBlushBlushBlush you right you cant beat one or two is even better Grin
Quote:40 minutes, to make 12 tarts & each one gone in 2 bites, Patty..?
I don't think your baking would keep up with the consumption rate....!!
Especially since they look so good Grin

Simon

didnt take me 40 minutes to make them more like five mins and two mins to eat them , they are very nice though.
Quote:I have never even heard of a Portuguese tart Patty,
never mind having one !!
Good shot.
Mick.

nice to eat gone in a bite or two, tasty though GrinGrinGrin
Quote:"I've not had a Portuguese tart since I was in Lisbon"

Someone had to say it.
The picture looks delicious, Patty.

your right someone had to say it Smile thank you to everyone

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.