Milton Abbas: In 1780, Joseph Damer, Lord Milton, the first Earl of Dorchester and owner of Milton Abbey, decided that the adjacent market town, Middleton, was disturbing his vision of rural peace. Of course, he demolished it. He commissioned architect Sir William Chambers and landscape gardener Capability Brown (both of whom had already worked on the Abbey building and grounds) to design a new village, Milton Abbas, in a wooded valley (Luccombe Bottom) to the south of the Abbey. Most
of the existing villagers were relocated here. Of course it was usual that more than one family occupied each house and land workers often could not afford the rents during the winter months when they were unemployed.
Tags: Photo journalism
Landscape and travel
Lynniesefforts, banehawi, gwynn56 and 5 more