Back Modifications (7)
Views 85 Unique 40 Award Shortlist   

Smokin

By pptbudi
High key photography using room downlight, histogram, color wheel and chormatic learning

Tags: Portrait Man People Portraits and people

Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Comments


dudler Plus
16 893 1504 England
27 Jul 2017 10:32AM
There's a brilliant idea in here. I really like the lighting and the way that you've used to smoke on the model's chest as well as coming out of his mouth.

If they histogram hasn't quite worked here. My modification brightens everything using the levels control and moving the highlights slider to the left.

For fun, I also rotated 90 clockwise and cropped to imitate a swooping dragon.

I hope you will take more pictures developing this idea and experimenting with the different ways you can use smoke in portraits.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrswoolybill Plus
12 1.5k 2066 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2017 12:22PM
Hi again, good to see you back. Your work is improving in leaps and bounds, this is impressive - a creative idea well realised technically. It's not really high key as such, but it's quality work. Well done.

I wanted to make the same small Levels adjustment as John. My only real quibble on opening this though was that I think there's too much shoulder, it gets in the way a bit. I cropped using your aspect ratio - this places the eye on the lower third, which works better for me here. Just enough base to support the head, but the crop directs my eye straight up.

John's modification is inspired. I wanted to try b&w, so for good measure I rotated it as well.
Moira
banehawi Plus
15 2.1k 4019 Canada
27 Jul 2017 4:42PM
Fantastic! You achieved a perfect white balance by using the light source, daylight flourescent, you timed the exposure very well, you used accurate nanula focusing, a huge step forward in your abilities are on show here.

The fine points can be polished in post processing. In the original shot, including the top of his head would be good, though it still works very well.

I love dudlers rotation, - what a difference it makes.

So I have uploaded a series of 4 mods; they are in sequence to show a progression of adjustments. Mod1 shows an increase in exposure and black make evenly black across the image, - black is slightly brighter, naturally in some spots; then Mod2 shows how the smoke is accentuated using a B&W layer with high contrast overlaid on the colour image, and the colour restored to the face only; this means the smoke is mono, high contrast, the face is not changed. Mod3 has space added on the left, the head completed with a shadow running down the left side, mainly to disuse any obvious Photoshop work; and then Mod4 is the rotation with a few more tweaks.


Youve done really well.


Regards


Willie
pptbudi 3 6 Indonesia
29 Jul 2017 1:56AM

Quote:There's a brilliant idea in here. I really like the lighting and the way that you've used to smoke on the model's chest as well as coming out of his mouth.

If they histogram hasn't quite worked here. My modification brightens everything using the levels control and moving the highlights slider to the left.

For fun, I also rotated 90 clockwise and cropped to imitate a swooping dragon.

I hope you will take more pictures developing this idea and experimenting with the different ways you can use smoke in portraits.


Thank you very much my friend I'm really glad to hear your review, the room light is very helpful but now I'm considering to learn how to using flash, is there anykind of flash that matched with my D5200 nikon to have more skin color pop up but without any making it too harsh like my inside camera flash ?, and how hard to use flash ?, thank you very much as always and thank you for the lovely modification it's really nice, I saw a picture of you that using high key and I really love that outcome, and I want to have shot like that
pptbudi 3 6 Indonesia
29 Jul 2017 2:05AM

Quote:Hi again, good to see you back. Your work is improving in leaps and bounds, this is impressive - a creative idea well realised technically. It's not really high key as such, but it's quality work. Well done.

I wanted to make the same small Levels adjustment as John. My only real quibble on opening this though was that I think there's too much shoulder, it gets in the way a bit. I cropped using your aspect ratio - this places the eye on the lower third, which works better for me here. Just enough base to support the head, but the crop directs my eye straight up.

John's modification is inspired. I wanted to try b&w, so for good measure I rotated it as well.
Moira


Hello Moira, wooow thank you very much I'm so glad to hear that, yes I want to learn about high key but, I still haven't got any flash yet so, the available light become greatest friend Smile, and yes the modification that made as lovely as John's did, I really love here, because the modification that made, really inspired me to take more carefully about framing efectivelly before taking a shot, thank you very much Moira Smile
pptbudi 3 6 Indonesia
29 Jul 2017 2:12AM

Quote:Fantastic! You achieved a perfect white balance by using the light source, daylight flourescent, you timed the exposure very well, you used accurate nanula focusing, a huge step forward in your abilities are on show here.

The fine points can be polished in post processing. In the original shot, including the top of his head would be good, though it still works very well.

I love dudlers rotation, - what a difference it makes.

So I have uploaded a series of 4 mods; they are in sequence to show a progression of adjustments. Mod1 shows an increase in exposure and black make evenly black across the image, - black is slightly brighter, naturally in some spots; then Mod2 shows how the smoke is accentuated using a B&W layer with high contrast overlaid on the colour image, and the colour restored to the face only; this means the smoke is mono, high contrast, the face is not changed. Mod3 has space added on the left, the head completed with a shadow running down the left side, mainly to disuse any obvious Photoshop work; and then Mod4 is the rotation with a few more tweaks.


Youve done really well.


Regards


Willie


Thank you very much my friend Willie you making me very happy with the comment and yes, after see the modification you have with the head is very brilliant and I really love it and I think I decide to buy for adobe photoshop and I hope that not hard to used, photoshop enough or lightroom would be better ?, but before asking much about how the modification made, which application should I purchase and that not hard to use cause I still haven't not much time to learn or to take course for software yet, thank you very much Willie
dudler Plus
16 893 1504 England
29 Jul 2017 1:17PM
It all depends on budget if yo uare considering buying flash.

I would suggest mains powered, rather than battery-eating - something like the low-end Elinchrom D-Lites or Godox units. They aren't as robust as the more expensive units, but will last for many years if you are reasonably careful with them. The big advantage of mains units is that they include modelling lamps (so that you can see how it will look, roughly), and they usually come with some modifiers for softer light, such as softboxes or umbrellas, and will accept standard fittings of other sorts (such as snoots and honeycombs).

It can be worthwhile buying secondhand units, providing that they have been carefully used, and have a guarantee. This makes professional-standard units like Prolinca (an English version of Elinchrom pro units from fifteen or twenty years back) and Bowens (possibly the benchmark units in much of hte world) affordable.

Does that help? There are a lot of brands available, and I have named only those that I own myself.
pptbudi 3 6 Indonesia
12 Aug 2017 1:08PM

Quote:It all depends on budget if yo uare considering buying flash.

I would suggest mains powered, rather than battery-eating - something like the low-end Elinchrom D-Lites or Godox units. They aren't as robust as the more expensive units, but will last for many years if you are reasonably careful with them. The big advantage of mains units is that they include modelling lamps (so that you can see how it will look, roughly), and they usually come with some modifiers for softer light, such as softboxes or umbrellas, and will accept standard fittings of other sorts (such as snoots and honeycombs).

It can be worthwhile buying secondhand units, providing that they have been carefully used, and have a guarantee. This makes professional-standard units like Prolinca (an English version of Elinchrom pro units from fifteen or twenty years back) and Bowens (possibly the benchmark units in much of hte world) affordable.

Does that help? There are a lot of brands available, and I have named only those that I own myself.


Thank you very much, it's very helping me much my friend, now I'm still learning about how the flash or lighting working and watching on some youtube video and also some article on internet, hmmm and it's seem not easy at all, but your information makes me easier to purchase for the flash or lighting, we will see after I little bit understand how flash working, and thank you very much once again, I deeply appreciate it
dudler Plus
16 893 1504 England
12 Aug 2017 2:18PM
If you have friends or acquaintances who have flash equipment, have a look at what they've got and how they use it.

Once you have found the right kit for what you do, it can be relatively simple - like much of photography, it's about reading the instructions, and not trying to be clever until you understand the basics!
pptbudi 3 6 Indonesia
13 Aug 2017 8:40AM

Quote:If you have friends or acquaintances who have flash equipment, have a look at what they've got and how they use it.

Once you have found the right kit for what you do, it can be relatively simple - like much of photography, it's about reading the instructions, and not trying to be clever until you understand the basics!


Aha, I think I've some friend, it's a very good ideas, I never tought of that, ok, I will visit them, thank you very much my friend, have a great Sunday

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.