Back Modifications (2)
Views 117 Unique 71 Award Shortlist   

Light house amidst the sunset

By rkarthick
This picture was taken at Port Dover, Ontario, Canada. The main aim behind taking this picture was to capture the three elements of nature with light house (Stones, Water and Sky) during the sunset. I liked the colors brought out in the clouds because of the sunset.

Settings:
Canon 17-40L
Lee 0.9ND Hard Filter
8 Sec Exposure
F/22
17mm Focal Length
ISO 100
Software Used: Lightroom

Looking forward to your valuable comments to improve this photograph.

Tags: Sunset Landscape Rocks Lighthouse Landscape and travel

Comments


Charlesmoss 12 14 England
15 Aug 2010 3:36AM
Excellent use of fg interest and sky. For me the long exposer has left a large white area of sea that i fine a real distraction.
Regards Charles
CherryMartin 13 10 United States
15 Aug 2010 4:53AM
Outstanding.
15 Aug 2010 6:04AM
Wonderful color, lighting and composition. Top shelf.
Dennis
mishu78 12 Canada
15 Aug 2010 6:05AM
Great shot! A few days ago i was there.
Toonman 14 1.4k 2 England
15 Aug 2010 7:25AM
Super shot Karthick. A great starting photograph, wish I was able to vote on it.
Paintman Plus
15 1.5k 180 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2010 11:47AM
I think my problem with this shot is the sky's darker than the water and the top right part of the sky is a very deep and dark blue. It doesn't look natural to me. I found the whole image too cyan/blue and in the mod I reduced this by desaturating only those colours.

Parts of the water are over-exposed.

In the mod I cropped the top, lightened the sky, darkened the water and increased the contrast on the f/g rocks and jetty. A final selective sharpen of the jetty and f/g rocks only to bring out the detail a bit more.

The composition's OK but the f/g needs something a little more interesting. Was there an aspect of those rocks which could have made them more unique? Did one have more colour, banding detail or a different shape so it stood out more amongst those rocks and become the focus of the f/g interest? Was there any vegetation that could act as the interest amongst the rocks? Any of these would give the f/g an extra something for the eye to take interest in.

This is only an opinion and not meant to offend.

Alan.
banehawi Plus
17 2.6k 4274 Canada
15 Aug 2010 2:41PM
Welcome to EPZ Karthick.

This is a nice shot overall, and has good compositional elements and nice light.

The filter used, - was it a graduated filter?

The long exposure has given the water a glow thats a little too bright compared to the sky, - perhaps you may not have needed the filter if the sky and the water required similar exposures.

theres too much rock in the foreground for me, and it can look better with less rock and more sky, while still maintaining you objective. Its also a good idea to try to get the horizon on a third.

Ive re formatted the shot in my mod, placing the lighthouse, as a focal point, closer to a third. I increased canvas size on top and right, cropped the left and bottom. Also balanced the exposure some more and sharpened a little. You usually need to sharpen after you re size for the web.

Hope this is helpful, and look forward to more shots of my home turf,


regards


Willie
rkarthick 11 2 Canada
15 Aug 2010 3:42PM
Hey.. thanks a lot people for all your comments. Really appreciate it for your time and views..

@Charlesmoss, totally agree. Thanks for pointing that out.

@CherryMartin and @prof1120 thanks a lot Smile

@Toonman, Critique wanted automatically removed the vote up/down I think.. thanks Smile

@mishu78, Nice to see someone from the same area as me Smile
rkarthick 11 2 Canada
15 Aug 2010 3:52PM
@Paintman, thanks a lot for your comments and mod.


Quote:I think my problem with this shot is the sky's darker than the water and the top right part of the sky is a very deep and dark blue. It doesn't look natural to me. I found the whole image too cyan/blue and in the mod I reduced this by desaturating only those colours.



I agree with this. Never thought about these points. Thanks for pointing them out. I could have played with the white balance a little bit for this.


Quote:
Parts of the water are over-exposed.



I see this now.


Quote:
In the mod I cropped the top, lightened the sky, darkened the water and increased the contrast on the f/g rocks and jetty. A final selective sharpen of the jetty and f/g rocks only to bring out the detail a bit more.



Thanks for this. Selective sharpen has totally modified the image. I really like this version.



Quote:
The composition's OK but the f/g needs something a little more interesting. Was there an aspect of those rocks which could have made them more unique? Did one have more colour, banding detail or a different shape so it stood out more amongst those rocks and become the focus of the f/g interest? Was there any vegetation that could act as the interest amongst the rocks? Any of these would give the f/g an extra something for the eye to take interest in.



Thanks a lot for the questions. Will keep things in mind, next time. I sometimes gets overwhelmed by the moment. These are very good questions.


Quote:
This is only an opinion and not meant to offend.

Alan.



Thanks a lot Alan. I am here to learn Smile.. Thanks for facilitating it.
rkarthick 11 2 Canada
15 Aug 2010 3:55PM
@Focus_man, thank you Smile
rkarthick 11 2 Canada
15 Aug 2010 4:06PM

Quote:Welcome to EPZ Karthick.

This is a nice shot overall, and has good compositional elements and nice light.



Thanks banehawi.


Quote:
The filter used, - was it a graduated filter?

The long exposure has given the water a glow thats a little too bright compared to the sky, - perhaps you may not have needed the filter if the sky and the water required similar exposures.



Yeah it is a Neutral Density graduated filter. The only issue was light on the rocks. that was less. Probably I could have taken three different exposures and then combined it into one. I agree with the glow.


Quote:
theres too much rock in the foreground for me, and it can look better with less rock and more sky, while still maintaining you objective. Its also a good idea to try to get the horizon on a third.

Ive re formatted the shot in my mod, placing the lighthouse, as a focal point, closer to a third. I increased canvas size on top and right, cropped the left and bottom. Also balanced the exposure some more and sharpened a little. You usually need to sharpen after you re size for the web.



This is fantastic. Totally transformed the image. Power of composition, I think. I shall keep the sharpening bit in my mind. Thanks a lot for these.


Quote:
Hope this is helpful, and look forward to more shots of my home turf,

regards
Willie



Thanks a lot. Will keep posting. So far enjoying this place Smile
paulbroad 14 131 1293 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2010 4:39PM
Why does it matter if the sky is darker than the water? It does happen. I rather like the whole thing as it is - Ok, maybe the water a little darker, but only a bit as it looks like silver.

I like this.

Paul
Paintman Plus
15 1.5k 180 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2010 8:12PM
The only reason I suggest the water is darker than the sky is because the water takes its colour and tone mainly from the sky. As the sky is where the light emanates from, the water cannot be brighter than the sky.

This is my understanding of the relationship between the two.

Alan.
lianna 12 13 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2011 2:22PM
Where did you stand to take that?? It's an interesting angle x

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.