I took this photo a few days ago and it's not of my usual pretty trees or fluffy stuff. I am putting it up today to try and raise as much awareness as I possibly can, because this fire was very personal to me.
It was my next door neighbours doll, what was left of the home she once had. An elderly disabled lady was trapped inside her blazing flat and if it wasn't for her smoke alarm, I would never have known there was a problem. Fortunately, I did hear it and saved her life, literally, by kicking the door down and dragging her out.
I am not putting this up to get recognition or praise, I have had that from her family. I just want people to realise that if you haven't got smoke alarms in your home, people like myself, may not be able to help.
Lastly, this was the result of candles
, not unattended, but knocked over. Please if you know of folks who really shouldn't have these in their home, make them get rid of them. There are pretty battery operated ones now that are just as atmospheric.
I hope it will invoke a sense of what happens in the aftermath of losing your home to fire, and possibly your life for the sake of an inexpensive gadget.
I don't know if this will work, but if you have an Facebook account, and care to raise awareness, then please do share this link
We put up lovely quotes and pretty pictures, but the really important stuff gets left out, awareness.
Be safe peeps
Tags: Photo journalism
Portraits and people
mrswoolybill, barbarahirst, WhiteRose1 and 11 more